Monday, February 4, 2013

My Face-to-Face Disney Interview in Toronto


One week ago I was in Toronto for my face-to-face interview with Disney representatives. Today I would like to talk about what an amazing experience it was.

First, the flight to Toronto Sunday morning was perfect. I had a window seat, the flight only seemed like an hour rather than two, and the weather was beautiful. When I landed in Toronto there wasn't a flake of snow on the ground and the air was surprisingly mild.

I took the shuttle to the Delta Hotel downtown and checked in to a very nice room, and then I decided to roam the streets and look for a cool place to eat. I had an amazing vegan sandwich at a place who's name I can't remember, but I know it was on Younge street!

Unfortunately the butterflies in my stomach wouldn't let me sleep that night, and I woke up at 6am (5am in Winnipeg) the next morning to get ready for the interview. A small group of us going to the interviews that day had made plans to meet at Eggspectation at 7am and then walk to Ryerson University together.

The streets were now covered in snow and I was so thankful I had brought my boots with me on the plane. When I got to the restaurant I had an amazing smoothie while talking about Disney World with my fellow Disney-lovers. It was the perfect thing to do to settle my mind before the presentation and interviews.

We then arrived at the university together and joined the 50 or so others. We sat and watched the fun presentation Disney had created for us, answered Disney trivia questions for small prizes, and learned all about Disney's International College Program, a two-and-a-half month paid summer internship.

Then we were given a time to return to the room for our one-on-one interviews.

Since Ryerson University is connected to the Eaton Centre, I decided to go to the food court for lunch. My vegetable pad thai didn't taste as good as it normally does, but I suspect it was because of my nerves.

1:00 couldn't come fast enough and I found myself texting everyone I knew in order to keep myself from fretting about the interview. Then I learned that the interviews were behind schedule, and I became even more nervous.

But then eventually it was my turn and I was warmly welcomed into the classroom and asked to sit down. The first question: "Why do you want to work for Disney?"

I then thought to myself that if all the questions were going to be like this, then I had no reason to worry.

The interview lasted about 7 minutes and was more of a conversation than a question and answer period. We talked about our favourite rides at the parks, what I was studying in school, what I was most looking forward to if I was accepted. There were a few hypothetical scenario questions at the end that I feel I answered well, and then the next thing I knew I was shaking the man's hand and thanking him for his time .

For the next few days I tried to keep Disney out of my mind as I waited for the rest of the interview days in Toronto and Montreal to pass. Then before I knew it, I received an email congratulating me on getting a position at Walt Disney World!

Since I found out about the good news, I've already bought my tickets to Florida for a great price ($461 for round trip) and can't wait to start packing my bags. I want to thank everyone that supported and encouraged me throughout this whole process, with a special thanks to Melanie Lee Lockhart and Katie Hartle for your advice before the interview!


Back in December I talked about my phone interview. To read the post and learn some helpful tips on how to prepare yourself for a phone interview, click here
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Yonge Street was at some point, and perhaps still is, part of the longest road in the world. It begins around where you were in Toronto at the edge of Lake Ontario and runs north, becoming Ontario Highway 11, winding west all the way across northern Ontario to Rainy River (where my grandparents and father used to live), and turning into Minnesota Highway 72 at the border, where it continues on south to Blackduck, Minnesota, about 400 kilometres southeast of us.

    So, an appropriate place to start a journey! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete